The Hidden Hazards of Microwave Cooking
Ten Reasons not to Use Your Microwave Oven
Based on Swiss, Russian and German clinical studies
- Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term, permanent, brain damage by “shorting out” electrical impulses in the brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing brain tissue] This explains the “dumbing down” of our society.
- The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products created in micro-waved food
- Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by continually eating micro-waved foods
- The effects of micro-waved food by-products are residual [long term, permanent] within the human body
- Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all micro-waved food is reduced or altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down
- The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals when cooked in a microwave oven
- Micro-waved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths [tumors]. This has been a primary contributor to the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in the United States
- The prolonged eating of micro-waved foods causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood
- Continual ingestion of micro-waved food causes immune system deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations
- Eating micro-waved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence, which will likely cause one to continue to use their micro-wave oven ;( Again, more “dumbing down”…
The Hidden Hazards of Microwave Cooking
by Anthony Wayne and Lawrence Newell
Is it possible that millions of people are ignorantly sacrificing their health in exchange for the convenience of microwave ovens? Why did the Soviet Union ban the use of microwave ovens in 1976? Who invented microwave ovens, and why? The answers to these questions may shock you into throwing your microwave oven in the trash.
Over 90% of American homes have microwave ovens used for meal preparation. Because microwave ovens are so convenient and energy efficient, as compared to conventional ovens, very few homes or restaurants are without them. In general, people believe that whatever a microwave oven does to foods cooked in it doesn’t have any negative effect on either the food or them. Of course, if microwave ovens were really harmful, our government would never allow them on the market, would they? Would they? Regardless of what has been “officially” released concerning microwave ovens, we have personally stopped using ours based on the research facts outlined in this article.
The purpose of this report is to show proof – evidence – that microwave cooking is not natural, nor healthy, and is far more dangerous to the human body than anyone could imagine. However, the microwave oven manufacturers, Washington City politics, and plain old human nature are suppressing the facts and evidence. Because of this, people are continuing to microwave their food – in blissful ignorance – without knowing the effects and danger of doing so.
How do microwave ovens work?
Microwaves are a form of electromagnetic energy, like light waves or radio waves, and occupy a part of the electromagnetic spectrum of power, or energy. Microwaves are very short waves of electromagnetic energy that travel at the speed of light (186,282 miles per second). In our modern technological age, microwaves are used to relay long distance telephone signals, television programs, and computer information across the earth or to a satellite in space. But the microwave is most familiar to us as an energy source for cooking food.
Every microwave oven contains a magnetron, a tube in which electrons are affected by magnetic and electric fields in such a way as to produce micro wavelength radiation at about 2450 Mega Hertz (MHz) or 2.45 Giga Hertz (GHz). This microwave radiation interacts with the molecules in food. All wave energy changes polarity from positive to negative with each cycle of the wave. In microwaves, these polarity changes happen millions of times every second. Food molecules – especially the molecules of water – have a positive and negative end in the same way a magnet has a north and a south polarity.
In commercial models, the oven has a power input of about 1000 watts of alternating current. As these microwaves generated from the magnetron bombard the food, they cause the polar molecules to rotate at the same frequency millions of times a second. All this agitation creates molecular friction, which heats up the food. The friction also causes substantial damage to the surrounding molecules, often tearing them apart or forcefully deforming them. The scientific name for this deformation is “structural isomerism”.
By comparison, microwaves from the sun are based on principles of pulsed direct current (DC) that don’t create frictional heat; microwave ovens use alternating current (AC) creating frictional heat. A microwave oven produces a spiked wavelength of energy with all the power going into only one narrow frequency of the energy spectrum. Energy from the sun operates in a wide frequency spectrum.
Many terms are used in describing electromagnetic waves, such as wavelength, amplitude, cycle and frequency:
- Wavelength determines the type of radiation, i.e. radio, X-ray, ultraviolet, visible, infrared, etc.
- Amplitude determines the extent of movement measured from the starting point.
- Cycle determines the unit of frequency, such as cycles per second, Hertz, Hz, or cycles/second.
- Frequency determines the number of occurrences within a given time period (usually 1 second); The number of occurrences of a recurring process per unit of time, i.e. the number of repetitions of cycles per second.
- Radiation = spreading energy with electromagnetic waves
Radiation, as defined by physics terminology, is “the electromagnetic waves emitted by the atoms and molecules of a radioactive substance as a result of nuclear decay.” Radiation causes ionization, which is what occurs when a neutral atom gains or loses electrons. In simpler terms, a microwave oven decays and changes the molecular structure of the food by the process of radiation. Had the manufacturers accurately called them “radiation ovens”, it’s doubtful they would have ever sold one, but that’s exactly what a microwave oven is.
We’ve all been told that microwaving food is not the same as irradiating it (radiation “treatment”). The two processes are supposed to use completely different waves of energy and at different intensities. No FDA or officially released government studies have proven current microwaving usage to be harmful, but we all know that the validity of studies can be – and are sometimes deliberately – limiting. Many of these studies are later proven to be inaccurate. As consumers, we’re supposed to have a certain degree of common sense to use in judgment.
Take the example of eggs and how they were “proven” to be so harmful to our health in the late 1960’s. This brought about imitation egg products and big profits for the manufacturers, while egg farms went broke. Now, recent government sponsored studies are saying that eggs are not bad for us after all. So, whom should we believe and what criteria should we use to decide matters concerning our health? Since it’s currently published that microwaves – purportedly – don’t leak into the environment, when properly used and with approved design, the decision lies with each consumer as to whether or not you choose to eat food heated by a microwave oven or even purchase one in the first place.
Motherly instincts are right
On a more humorous side, the “sixth sense” every mother has is impossible to argue with. Have you ever tried it? Children will never win against a mother’s intuition. It’s like trying to argue with the arm – appearing out of nowhere – that pinned you to the back of the seat when your mother slammed on the brakes.
Many of us come from a generation where mothers and grandmothers have distrusted the modern “inside out” cooking they claimed was “not suitable” for most foods. My mother refused to even try baking anything in a microwave. She also didn’t like the way a cup of coffee tasted when heated in a microwave oven. I have to fully agree and can’t argue either fact. Her own common sense and instincts told her that there was no way microwave cooking could be natural nor make foods “taste they way they’re supposed to”. Reluctantly, even my mother succumbed to re-heating leftovers in a microwave due to her work schedule before she retired.
Many others feel the same way, but they’re considered an “old fashioned” minority dating back to before the 1970’s when microwaves first overwhelmed the market. Like most young adults at the time, as microwave ovens became commonplace, I chose to ignore my mother’s intuitive wisdom and joined the majority who believed microwave cooking was far too convenient to ever believe anything could be wrong with it. Chalk one up for mom’s perception, because even though she didn’t know the scientific, technical, or health reasons why, she just knew that microwave ovens were not good based on how foods tasted when they were cooked in them. She didn’t like the way the texture of the microwaved food changed either.
Microwaves unsafe for baby’s milk
A number of warnings have been made public, but have been barely noticed. For example, Young Families, the Minnesota Extension Service of the University of Minnesota, published the following in 1989:
“Although microwaves heat food quickly, they are not recommended for heating a baby’s bottle. The bottle may seem cool to the touch, but the liquid inside may become extremely hot and could burn the baby’s mouth and throat. Also, the buildup of steam in a closed container, such as a baby bottle, could cause it to explode. Heating the bottle in a microwave can cause slight changes in the milk. In infant formulas, there may be a loss of some vitamins. In expressed breast milk, some protective properties may be destroyed. Warming a bottle by holding it under tap water, or by setting it in a bowl of warm water, then testing it on your wrist before feeding may take a few minutes longer, but it is much safer.”
Dr. Lita Lee of Hawaii reported in the December 9, 1989 Lancet:
“Microwaving baby formulas converted certain trans-amino acids into their synthetic cis-isomers. Synthetic isomers, whether cis-amino acids or trans-fatty acids, are not biologically active. Further, one of the amino acids, L-proline, was converted to its d-isomer, which is known to be neurotoxic (poisonous to the nervous system) and nephrotoxic (poisonous to the kidneys). It’s bad enough that many babies are not nursed, but now they are given fake milk (baby formula) made even more toxic via microwaving.”
Microwaved blood kills patient
In 1991, there was a lawsuit in Oklahoma concerning the hospital use of a microwave oven to warm blood needed in a transfusion. The case involved a hip surgery patient, Norma Levitt, who died from a simple blood transfusion. It seems the nurse had warmed the blood in a microwave oven. This tragedy makes it very apparent that there’s much more to “heating” with microwaves than we’ve been led to believe. Blood for transfusions is routinely warmed, but not in microwave ovens. In the case of Mrs. Levitt, the microwaving altered the blood and it killed her.
It’s very obvious that this form of microwave radiation “heating” does something to the substances it heats. It’s also becoming quite apparent that people who process food in a microwave oven are also ingesting these “unknowns”.
Because the body is electrochemical in nature, any force that disrupts or changes human electrochemical events will affect the physiology of the body. This is further described in Robert O. Becker’s book, The Body Electric, and in Ellen Sugarman’s book, Warning, the Electricity Around You May Be Hazardous to Your Health.
Scientific evidence and facts
In Comparative Study of Food Prepared Conventionally and in the Microwave Oven, published by Raum & Zelt in 1992, at 3(2): 43, it states
“A basic hypothesis of natural medicine states that the introduction into the human body of molecules and energies, to which it is not accustomed, is much more likely to cause harm than good. Microwaved food contains both molecules and energies not present in food cooked in the way humans have been cooking food since the discovery of fire. Microwave energy from the sun and other stars is direct current based. Artificially produced microwaves, including those in ovens, are produced from alternating current and force a billion or more polarity reversals per second in every food molecule they hit. Production of unnatural molecules is inevitable. Naturally occurring amino acids have been observed to undergo isomeric changes (changes in shape morphing) as well as transformation into toxic forms, under the impact of microwaves produced in ovens. One short-term study found significant and disturbing changes in the blood of individuals consuming microwaved milk and vegetables. Eight volunteers ate various combinations of the same foods cooked different ways. All foods that were processed through the microwave ovens caused changes in the blood of the volunteers. Hemoglobin levels decreased and over all white cell levels and cholesterol levels increased. Lymphocytes decreased. Luminescent (light-emitting) bacteria were employed to detect energetic changes in the blood. Significant increases were found in the luminescence of these bacteria when exposed to blood serum obtained after the consumption of microwaved food.”
The Swiss clinical study
Dr. Hans Ulrich Hertel, who is now retired, worked as a food scientist for many years with one of the major Swiss food companies that do business on a global scale. A few years ago, he was fired from his job for questioning certain processing procedures that denatured the food.
In 1991, he and a Lausanne University professor published a research paper indicating that food cooked in microwave ovens could pose a greater risk to health than food cooked by conventional means. An article also appeared in issue 19 of the Journal Franz Weber in which it was stated that the consumption of food cooked in microwave ovens had cancerous effects on the blood. The research paper itself followed the article. On the cover of the magazine there was a picture of the Grim Reaper holding a microwave oven in one of his hands.
Dr. Hertel was the first scientist to conceive and carry out a quality clinical study on the effects microwaved nutrients have on the blood and physiology of the human body. His small but well controlled study showed the degenerative force produced in microwave ovens and the food processed in them. The scientific conclusion showed that microwave cooking changed the nutrients in the food; and, changes took place in the participants’ blood that could cause deterioration in the human system. Hertel’s scientific study was done along with Dr. Bernard H. Blanc of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology and the University Institute for Biochemistry.
In intervals of two to five days, the volunteers in the study received one of the following food variants on an empty stomach:
- Raw milk
- The same milk conventionally cooked
- Pasteurized milk
- The same raw milks cooked in a microwave oven
- Raw vegetables from an organic farm; (6) the same vegetables cooked conventionally
- The same vegetables frozen and defrosted in a microwave oven and
- The same vegetables cooked in the microwave oven.
Once the volunteers were isolated, blood samples were taken from every volunteer immediately before eating. Then, blood samples were taken at defined intervals after eating from the above milk or vegetable preparations.
Significant changes were discovered in the blood samples from the intervals following the foods cooked in the microwave oven. These changes included a decrease in all hemoglobin and cholesterol values, especially the ratio of HDL (good cholesterol) and LDL (bad cholesterol) values. Lymphocytes (white blood cells) showed a more distinct short-term decrease following the intake of microwaved food than after the intake of all the other variants. Each of these indicators pointed to degeneration. Additionally, there was a highly significant association between the amount of microwave energy in the test foods and the luminous power of luminescent bacteria exposed to serum from test persons who ate that food. This led Dr. Hertel to the conclusion that such technically derived energies may, indeed, be passed along to man inductively via eating microwaved food.
According to Dr. Hertel, “Leukocytosis, which cannot be accounted for by normal daily deviations, is taken very seriously by hemotologists. Leukocytes are often signs of pathogenic effects on the living system, such as poisoning and cell damage. The increase of leukocytes with the microwaved foods were more pronounced than with all the other variants. It appears that these marked increases were caused entirely by ingesting the microwaved substances. This process is based on physical principles and has already been confirmed in the literature. The apparent additional energy exhibited by the luminescent bacteria was merely an extra confirmation.
There is extensive scientific literature concerning the hazardous effects of direct microwave radiation on living systems. It is astonishing, therefore, to realize how little effort has been taken to replace this detrimental technique of microwaves with technology more in accordance with nature. Technically produced microwaves are based on the principle of alternating current. Atoms, molecules, and cells hit by this hard electromagnetic radiation are forced to reverse polarity 1-100 billion times a second. There are no atoms, molecules or cells of any organic system able to withstand such a violent, destructive power for any extended period of time, not even in the low energy range of milliwatts. Of all the natural substances – which are polar – the oxygen of water molecules reacts most sensitively. This is how microwave cooking heat is generated – friction from this violence in water molecules. Structures of molecules are torn apart, molecules are forcefully deformed, called structural isomerism, and thus become impaired in quality. This is contrary to conventional heating of food where heat transfers convectionally from without to within. Cooking by microwaves begins within the cells and molecules where water is present and where the energy is transformed into frictional heat.
In addition to the violent frictional heat effects, called thermic effects, there are also athermic effects which have hardly ever been taken into account. These athermic effects are not presently measurable, but they can also deform the structures of molecules and have qualitative consequences. For example the weakening of cell membranes by microwaves is used in the field of gene altering technology. Because of the force involved, the cells are actually broken, thereby neutralizing the electrical potentials, the very life of the cells, between the outer and inner side of the cell membranes. Impaired cells become easy prey for viruses, fungi and other microorganisms. The natural repair mechanisms are suppressed and cells are forced to adapt to a state of energy emergency – they switch from aerobic to anaerobic respiration. Instead of water and carbon dioxide, the cell poisons hydrogen peroxide and carbon monoxide are produced.” The same violent deformations that occur in our bodies, when we are directly exposed to radar or microwaves, also occur in the molecules of foods cooked in a microwave oven. This radiation results in the destruction and deformation of food molecules.
Microwaving also creates new compounds, called radiolytic compounds, which are unknown fusions not found in nature. Radiolytic compounds are created by molecular decomposition – decay – as a direct result of radiation. Microwave oven manufacturers insist that microwaved and irradiated foods do not have any significantly higher radiolytic compounds than do broiled, baked or other conventionally cooked foods. The scientific clinical evidence presented here has shown that this is simply a lie. In America, neither universities nor the federal government have conducted any tests concerning the effects on our bodies from eating microwaved foods. Isn’t that a bit odd? They’re more concerned with studies on what happens if the door on a microwave oven doesn’t close properly. Once again, common sense tells us that their attention should be centered on what happens to food cooked inside a microwave oven. Since people ingest this altered food, shouldn’t there be concern for how the same decayed molecules will affect our own human biological cell structure? Industry’s action to hide the truth.
As soon as Doctors Hertel and Blanc published their results, the authorities reacted. A powerful trade organization, the Swiss Association of Dealers for Electro-apparatuses for Households and Industry, known as FEA, struck swiftly in 1992. They forced the President of the Court of Seftigen, Canton of Bern, to issue a “gag order” against Drs. Hertel and Blanc. In March 1993, Dr. Hertel was convicted for “interfering with commerce” and prohibited from further publishing his results. However, Dr. Hertel stood his ground and fought this decision over the years.
Not long ago, this decision was reversed in a judgment delivered in Strasbourg, Austria, on August 25, 1998. The European Court of Human Rights held that there had been a violation of Hertel’s rights in the 1993 decision. The European Court of Human Rights also ruled that the “gag order” issued by the Swiss court in 1992 against Dr. Hertel, prohibiting him from declaring that microwave ovens are dangerous to human health, was contrary to the right to freedom of expression. In addition, Switzerland was ordered to pay Dr. Hertel compensation.
Who invented microwave ovens?
The Nazis, for use in their mobile support operations, originally developed microwave “radiomissor” cooking ovens to be used for the invasion of Russia. By being able to utilize electronic equipment for preparation of meals on a mass scale, the logistical problem of cooking fuels would have been eliminated, as well as the convenience of producing edible products in a greatly reduced time-factor.
After the war, the Allies discovered medical research done by the Germans on microwave ovens. These documents, along with some working microwave ovens, were transferred to the United States War Department and classified for reference and “further scientific investigation.” The Russians had also retrieved some microwave ovens and now have thorough research on their biological effects. As a result, their use was outlawed in the Soviet Union. The Soviets issued an international warning on the health hazards, both biological and environmental, of microwave ovens and similar frequency electronic devices.
Other Eastern European scientists also reported the harmful effects of microwave radiation and set up strict environmental limits for their usage. The United States has not accepted the European reports of harmful effects, even though the EPA estimates that radio frequency and microwave radiation sources in America are increasing at 15% per year.
Carcinogens in microwaved food
In Dr. Lita Lee’s book, Health Effects of Microwave Radiation – Microwave Ovens, and in the March and September 1991 issues of Earthletter, she stated that every microwave oven leaks electro-magnetic radiation, harms food, and converts substances cooked in it to dangerous organ-toxic and carcinogenic products. Further research summarized in this article reveal that microwave ovens are far more harmful than previously imagined.
The following is a summary of the Russian investigations published by the Atlantis Raising Educational Center in Portland, Oregon. Carcinogens were formed in virtually all foods tested. No test food was subjected to more microwaving than necessary to accomplish the purpose, i.e., cooking, thawing, or heating to insure sanitary ingestion.
Here’s a summary of some of the results:
- Microwaving prepared meats sufficiently to insure sanitary ingestion caused formation of d-Nitrosodienthanolamines, a well-known carcinogen.
- Microwaving milk and cereal grains converted some of their amino acids into carcinogens.
- Thawing frozen fruits converted their glucoside and galactoside containing fractions into carcinogenic substances.
- Extremely short exposure of raw, cooked or frozen vegetables converted their plant alkaloids into carcinogens.
- Carcinogenic free radicals were formed in microwaved plants, especially root vegetables.
- Decrease in nutritional value
Russian researchers also reported a marked acceleration of structural degradation leading to a decreased food value of 60 to 90% in all foods tested. Among the changes observed were:
- Deceased bio-availability of vitamin B complex, vitamin C, vitamin E, essential minerals and lipotropics factors in all food tested.
- Various kinds of damaged to many plant substances, such as alkaloids, glucosides, galactosides and nitrilosides.
- The degradation of nucleo-proteins in meats.
- Microwave sickness is discovered
The Russians did research on thousands of workers who had been exposed to microwaves during the development of radar in the 1950’s. Their research showed health problems so serious that the Russians set strict limits of 10 microwatts exposure for workers and one microwatt for civilians.
In Robert O. Becker’s book, The Body Electric, he described Russian research on the health effects of microwave radiation, which they called “microwave sickness.” On page 314, Becker states:
“It’s [Microwave sickness] first signs are low blood pressure and slow pulse. The later and most common manifestations are chronic excitation of the sympathetic nervous system [stress syndrome] and high blood pressure. This phase also often includes headache, dizziness, eye pain, sleeplessness, irritability, anxiety, stomach pain, nervous tension, inability to concentrate, hair loss, plus an increased incidence of appendicitis, cataracts, reproductive problems, and cancer. The chronic symptoms are eventually succeeded by crisis of adrenal exhaustion and ischemic heart disease [the blockage of coronary arteries and heart attacks].”
According to Dr. Lee, changes are observed in the blood chemistries and the rates of certain diseases among consumers of microwaved foods. The symptoms above can easily be caused by the observations shown below. The following is a sample of these changes:
“Lymphatic disorders were observed, leading to decreased ability to prevent certain types of cancers. An increased rate of cancer cell formation was observed in the blood. Increased rates of stomach and intestinal cancers were observed. Higher rates of digestive disorders and a gradual breakdown of the systems of elimination were observed.”
Microwave research conclusions
The following were the most significant German and Russian research operations facilities concerning the biological effects of microwaves:
- The initial research conducted by the Germans during the Barbarossa military campaign, at the Humbolt-Universitat zu Berlin (1942-1943); and
- From 1957 and up to the present [until the end of the cold war], the Russian research operations were conducted at: the Institute of Radio Technology at Kinsk
- Byelorussian Autonomous Region; and, at the Institute of Radio Technology at Rajasthan in the Rossiskaja Autonomous Region, both in the Union of the Soviet Socialist Republics
In most cases, the foods used for research analysis were exposed to microwave propagation at an energy potential of 100 kilowatts/cm3/second, to the point considered acceptable for sanitary, normal ingestion. The effects noted by both German and Russian researchers is presented in three categories:
- Category I, Cancer-Causing Effects
- Category II, Nutritive Destruction of Foods
- Category III, Biological Effects of Exposure
- [The first two points of Category I are not readable from our report copy. The remainder of the report is intact.]
- Creation of a “binding effect” to radioactivity in the atmosphere, thus causing a marked increase in the amount of alpha and beta particle saturation in foods
- Creation of cancer causing agents within protein hydrolysate compounds* in milk and cereal grains [*these are natural proteins that are split into unnatural fragments by the addition of water]
- Alteration of elemental food-substances, causing disorders in the digestive system by unstable catabolism* of foods subjected to microwaves [*the metabolic breakdown process]
- Due to chemical alterations within food substances, malfunctions were observed within the lymphatic systems [absorbent vessels], causing a degeneration of the immune potentials of the body to protect against certain forms of neoplastics [abnormal growths of tissue]
- Ingestion of microwaved foods caused a higher percentage of cancerous cells within the blood serum [cytomas – cell tumors such as sarcoma]
- Microwave emissions caused alteration in the catabolic [metabolic breakdown] behavior of glucoside [hydrolyzed dextrose] and galactoside [oxidized alcohol] elements within frozen fruits when thawed in this manner
- Microwave emission caused alteration of the catabolic [metabolic breakdown] behavior of plant alkaloids [organic nitrogen based elements] when raw, cooked, or frozen vegetables were exposed for even extremely short durations
- Cancer causing free radicals [highly reactive incomplete molecules] were formed within certain trace mineral molecular formations in plant substances, and in particular, raw root-vegetables; and
- In a statistically high percentage of persons, microwaved foods caused stomach and intestinal cancerous growths, as well as a general degeneration of peripheral cellular tissues, with a gradual breakdown of the function of the digestive and excretive systems.
DECREASE IN FOOD VALUE
- Microwave exposure caused significant decreases in the nutritive value of all foods researched. The following are the most important findings:
- A decrease in the bioavailability [capability of the body to utilize the nutriment] of B-complex vitamins, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, essential minerals and lipotropics in all foods
- A loss of 60-90% of the vital energy field content of all tested foods
- A reduction in the metabolic behavior and integration process capability of alkaloids [organic nitrogen based elements], glucosides and galactosides, and nitrilosides
- A destruction of the nutritive value of nucleoproteins in meats
- A marked acceleration of structural disintegration in all foods.
BIOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF EXPOSURE
Exposure to microwave emissions also had an unpredictably negative effect upon the general biological welfare of humans. This was not discovered until the Russians experimented with highly sophisticated equipment and discovered that a human did not even need to ingest the material substance of the microwaved food substances: that even exposure to the energy-field itself was sufficient to cause such adverse side effects that the use of any such microwave apparatus was forbidden in 1976 by Soviet state law.
The following are the enumerated effects:
- A breakdown of the human “life-energy field” in those who were exposed to microwave ovens while in operation, with side-effects to the human energy field of increasingly longer duration
- A degeneration of the cellular voltage parallels during the process of using the apparatus, especially in the blood and lymphatic areas
- A degeneration and destabilization of the external energy activated potentials of food utilization within the processes of human metabolism
- A degeneration and destabilization of internal cellular membrane potentials while transferring catabolic [metabolic breakdown] processes into the blood serum from the digestive process
- Degeneration and circuit breakdowns of electrical nerve impulses within the junction potentials of the cerebrum [the front portion of the brain where thought and higher functions reside]
- A degeneration and breakdown of nerve electrical circuits and loss of energy field symmetry in the neuroplexuses [nerve centers] both in the front and the rear of the central and autonomic nervous systems
- Loss of balance and circuiting of the bioelectric strengths within the ascending reticular activating system [the system which controls the function of consciousness]
- A long term cumulative loss of vital energies within humans, animals and plants that were located within a 500-meter radius of the operational equipment
- Long lasting residual effects of magnetic “deposits” were located throughout the nervous system and lymphatic system
- A destabilization and interruption in the production of hormones and maintenance of hormonal balance in males and females
- Markedly higher levels of brainwave disturbance in the alpha, theta, and delta wave signal patterns of persons exposed to microwave emission fields
Because of this brainwave disturbance, negative psychological effects were noted, including loss of memory, loss of ability to concentrate, suppressed emotional threshold, deceleration of intellective processes, and interruptive sleep episodes in a statistically higher percentage of individuals subjected to continual range emissive field effects of microwave apparatus, either in cooking apparatus or in transmission stations.
Forensic Research Conclusions
From the twenty-eight above enumerated indications, the use of microwave apparatus is definitely not advisable; and, with the decision of the Soviet government in 1976, present scientific opinion in many countries concerning the use of such apparatus is clearly in evidence.
Due to the problem of random magnetic residulation and binding within the biological systems of the body (Category III:9), which can ultimately effect the neurological systems, primarily the brain and neuroplexuses (nerve centers), long term depolarization of tissue neuroelectric circuits can result. Because these effects can cause virtually irreversible damage to the neuroelectrical integrity of the various components of the nervous system (I. R. Luria, Novosibirsk 1975a), ingestion of microwaved foods is clearly contraindicated in all respects. Their magnetic residual effect can render the pyschoneural receptor components of the brain more subject to influence psychologically by artificially induced microwave radio frequency fields from transmission stations and TV relay-networks.
The theoretical possibility of psycho telemetric influence (the capability of affecting human behavior by transmitted radio signals at controlled frequencies) has been suggested by Soviet neuropsychological investigations at Uralyera and Novosibirsk (Luria and Perov, 1974a, 1975c, 1976a), which can cause involuntary subliminal psychological energy field compliance to operative microwave apparatus.
FORENSIC RESEARCH DOCUMENT
Prepared By: William P. Kopp
R. E. C. Research Operations
RELEASE PRIORITY: CLASS I ROO1a
Have you tossed out your microwave oven yet?
After you throw out your microwave you can use a toaster oven as a replacement. It works well for most and is nearly as quick.
The use of artificial microwave transmissions for subliminal psychological control, a.k.a. “brainwashing”, has also been proven. We’re attempting to obtain copies of the 1970’s Russian research documents and results written by Drs. Luria and Perov specifying their clinical experiments in this area.
REFERENCES FOR MICROWAVE HAZARDS
- American Society of Horticultural Science February 2000; 44(1): 15-19
- Precision Nutrition, Cooking and Carcinogens
- Rev Environ Health. 2015;30(2):99-116
- International Journal of Innovative Research in Engineering and Management, September 2015; 2(5)
- J Cell Mol Med. 2013 Aug;17(8):958-65
- Current Chemical Biology 2016; 10(1): 74-82
- Journal of Chemical Neuroanatomy 2016 Sep;75(Pt B):43-51
- Electromagnetic Health: Making Sense of the Research and Practical Solutions for Electromagnetic Fields (EMF) and Radio Frequencies (RF), Case Adams
- Health Effects of Microwave Radiation — Microwave Ovens by Lita Lee, Ph. D.
- Nutrition and Cancer 2002;44(2):189-91
- Veterans Today Archives June 11, 2011
- Associated Press August 2, 1991
- Mercola.com, The Proven Dangers of Microwaves April/May 1995
- Magdahavas.com, Digital Portable Phones Affects the Heart, August 2010
- The Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, October 15, 2003; 83(14);1511-1516
- Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica B 1999:49(2):110-117
- Journal of Nutrition 2001 Mar;131(3s):1054S-7S
- Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 1998; 46(4): 1433-1436
- Bioelectromagnetics 2008 May;29(4):324-30
- Pediatrics 992 Apr;89(4 Pt 1):667-9
- Next-up.org, RTBF Belgium News Report Translation to English (PDF)
this is excellent information! I am ditching my microwave immediately.
Thank you for posting
Any one who believes that a microwave oven produces radioactive particle emissions is a ignorant fool. Go get a geiger counter and prove it for yourself! Cooking your food on the stove probably does more damage and re-arranging of food molecules than cooking via a microwave oven.
Threw mine out last week after a napkin caught fire, needed a reason not to run out and buy another, thanks. Prefer the toaster oven, at least now I don’t have to worry about radiation in my face!
You claim to offer ‘proof – evidence’ of the harmful effects of microwave cooking. You then discredit scientific research (because ‘we all know that the validity of studies can be – and are sometimes deliberately – limiting’) and then proceed cite discredited research from the early nineties, as well as parroting the abject nonsense Joseph Mercola took out of a paper that was printed in the sole edition of an extremely obscure publication. That was penned by Knopp, a former employee of an alternative bookstore/herb shop (which, for some reason, had a bunch of Soviet research in its ‘archives’), whose actual identity is unknown because he ‘had to go into hiding after receiving threats from the ‘powerful microwave lobby’. The Nazis invented the microwave? Nope. The Soviets instituted a ban on microwaves? Never happened.
Basic fact-checking r hard, huh?
Meta studies have shown, time and time again, that the only links found between RFE (the low-level radiation microwaves, mobile phones, GPS etc. use) and health issues are so weak that it can’t be qualified as a risk for humans. See, for example: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17692567
It’s nice that you’ve done your best to make this piece look as scientific as possible, delving into the nature of radiation and letting loose a truckload of jargon, but what you’ve actually done is compiling a pile of bullshit from an online mountain of it. For shame.
The low level emfs and RF waves do cause an increase in intracellular calcium, by activating voltage gated calcium channels . This increases nitric oxide and superoxide. When there is a large influx of nitric oxide it will react with superoxide to form peroxynitrite. This peroxynitire breaks down to form reactive free radicals, reactive nitrogen and oxygen species that cause damage . The peroxynitrites cause damage on there own . This is what can cause DNA breaks. It’s not a thermal effect like people say.
This is 2018. This article was originally written in 1992 and totally debunked in, er, 1992. Please please do open research and read the debunking sites too, there is a lot of useful information in those.
Wayne and Newell have no science qualifications whatsoever. They’ve mixed up the simple concepts of wave length and frequency. They misunderstand that radiation does NOT mean radioactivity and mix the 2 resulting in catastrophic errors in their conclusions. They state that MW ovens run on AC when in fact they all contain transformers to convert AC to DC. They cannot analyse the science papers they quote, so a report on baby’s milk is construed into “do not use MW ovens to heat baby milk”. That same report also stated you shouldn’t heat it in a saucepan, without actually stating that frying pans and roasting pans aren’t a good idea either.
The heated blood is a red herring, again you wouldn’t heat blood in a saucepan or fry pan, why not? It cooks, which was exactly the claim in the old lady’s case with MW ovens.
The report on Swiss Hans Hertel is so weak it makes me cry. He had no controls, a small population and at least 5 variables. The group were given raw milk, pasteurised milk, raw vegetables, organic vegetables, frozen vegetables – by which point any testing is silly. His results have never been published, only his conclusions (leucocytes increased, but to what level, whose interpretation was it that this was bad?) so no-one can review his conclusions.
The Nazis did not invent MW ovens, this is just not so. Neither did the Soviets ban them. There is no evidence at all for either and every single article that supports this can be traced back to this article at its original publication.
As to the Russian work cited by Bill Kopp, again there is no evidence for this, just one unnamed paper from an unnamed source in an unnamed journal, so no-one can actually check it. It’s a load of pseudoscientific babble with buzz words but no substance.
Sorry, as a scientist it makes me so upset that people with no knowledge of science can peddle such rubbish and pretend it’s scientific.
It is not true. There is no evidence for anything in the article above. It is hogwash.
How about giving some references/links?
Hi again Louie,
We understand that some habits may be difficult to give up, so we have included 21 references at the bottom of this page.
Have a great day!
Thanks for your 21 references, unfortunately having gone through them all, I am still unconvinced. For convenience, I have reduced microwave to MW.
1) Article about reduction of nutrient content in fruit and vegetables in modern day agriculture. No mention of MWs.
2) Article about hetrocyclic amines, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, advanced glycation end products (AGEs) and acrylamides. All formed by hot temperature cooking (e.g. grilling, roasting and frying) which browns the food and makes it delicious. MWs essentially act on the bipolar water molecule and heating is really in the 100-140C range. No mention of MWs
3) Study on direct exposure to MW, in particular pulsed EMF typical of radar. Not on ovens or on food. Would seem to include high intensity exposure possibly near a cell tower perhaps?
4) 5) 6) 7) Essentially the same study by the same writer as for 3). A repeated reference!
8) A book – I haven’t read it
9) Lita Lee’s article, essentially repeating Wayne and Newell’s article that you cite above, so a circular argument. This is NOT the article in the Lancet often cited but which probably doesn’t exist as Lee only ever wrote a letter to the Lancet and letters are not peer reviewed, nor should they be cited.
10) Article about irradiated food, results still under review as to effects on people as animals received many times the dosage humans ever would. This is food irradiated with radio-active radiation, not non ionising MW radiation, please do NOT mix up these 2 different things, doing so is a basic fundamental error and leads to catastrophic misunderstanding and demonstration that you would know nothing about the subject. Wayne and Newell, in the article you crib from, show this confusion and ignorance and the effect of a catastrophically incorrect conclusion.
11) Tom Valentine – quoted in the Wayne and Newell article, has no scientific training, quotes Hans Hertel’s study which I mentioned above, so full of holes and badly controlled that it would fail a 12th grade test.
12) Newspaper report on Norma Levitt’s unfortunate death following a transfusion of MWed blood. Does not mention MWs except to say that the blood was cooked, which it would be in a saucepan or frying pan too.
Please also read newsok.com/article/540245 where the same newspaper reports after the case. Interesting!!
13) Mercola? Not a reliable author. He also uses Wayne and Newell’s article. another circular argument.
14) Opinion piece only.
15) The famous microwaved vs steamed broccoli study. Criticised for comparing broccoli steamed for 3.5 minutes with broccoli microwaved in lots of water for 5.5 minutes, the equivalent of steaming for over 10 minutes. One wonders what the broccoli would be like after 10 minutes of steaming?
16) MWs were eused in this study but there are no results or conclusions on its possible harmful effects.
17) The Garlic study, essentially shows that all heating is harmful to garlic’s antioxidant effects but that MWing is much faster.
18) Article about the relative benefits of chemiluminescence vs microbiological method in determining vitamin B12 levels. No mention of MWs, though another study on vitamin B12 (not cited) uses chemiluminescence to ascertain B12 levels in MWed food.
19) MWs increase level of protein unfolding compared to ambient (but not direct) heat. Since such unfolding is beneficial in cooking, this may not be a problem and my be one factor in the speed of MW cooking.
20) Another famous article, this one on heating breastmilk and formula. Main punch is that MWing small amounts of milk/formula may leave hot spots that may scald a baby. Effects on immunolobin and not compared to similar milk heated traditionally, as scientists know that all heating has these effects, though populists seem to have got hold of the wrong end of the stick because they don’t know this. The main article also states that heating in a saucepan is contraindicated for this reason.
21) I didn’t actually understand this one.
Not one of these sources mentioned harmful effects of MW cooking and some indicated the benefits!! MW cook faster so time management is critical. That essentially was the problem in the broccoli study, the blood transfusion death and the breast milk/formula study not the MWs themselves.
Wayne and Newell’s article, so frequently cited in your references becoming a circular reference, was completely debunked 25 years ago and should NEVER be cited, in part or in full. It is so full of inaccuracies, misunderstandings and wayward conclusions that it really is a standard bearer for how NOT to write about something.
None of the above references have added to our knowledge of the harmful effects of MW cooking. Until we have some actual evidence, there is nothing anyone in authority can do.
Before someone mentions “money talks”, 80% of MW ovens bought in the USA are imported, it is not in US Big Business interest to support the MW industry. As the alternatives (toaster ovens, convection ovens, both of which also use radiation to cook food) are largely US built, it is in American business’s interest to get you to dispose of your dirty foreign rubbish and buy good old American radiation cookers instead, as recommended by Dr Josh in his video above.
Just took a quick peek at your sources. I had noticed you’ve gotten this a lot after I started writing this. But there seems to be a huge misunderstanding as to what is meant by “EMF” and “microwave” in these journals and what their correspondence is to the subject title.
YOU ARE SPREADING MISINFORMATION CURRENTLY … so why is it still posted exactly?
Anyone who doesn’t believe me can go and actually read each of the studies for themselves. Like my God, it’s brutal that you can write this after reading that. I doubt you actually read them. There’s no possible way you could write this after reading them.
I have assumed your intelligence is significant enough to write this clearly and well, (great writing btw) so how can I assume you have read this material? It doesn’t add up.
When doing a study, it’s important to really make sure you dig into reputable journals specifically about the topic you are writing about. And also to define all keywords in your study so that you understand what the journal is referring to when sourcing.
Don’t just source to source. it makes you look like … well, this? It looks bad.
You made sense ! I have two Microwave Ovens im going to trow out today . One is 25 years old and still working ! Do you have an answer why they last so long ? Not profitabel
It’s amazing to me that there are so many people commenting who went out of their way to look up this topic just so they could try to “debunk” the authors. I would imagine these “debunkers” are being sent from any the MANY companies that sell frozen food or microwave dinners. They would have their revenue destroyed if word got out that microwaved food harms the body. What the authors are saying makes sense anyways. If there is any uncertainty, take a few extra minutes and heat your food another way.
Hi Kiwi-Ian and thank you for your great homework!
I’m not a fan of the MW but your opinion and “donkey work” made me to consider my belief of using MW again.
One question – you as scientist do you think there could be some harm to health of using MW, let’s say for 10-15 years?
We are remodeling our kitchen and I’m so glad I came across this article. I think instead of buying another microwave I will be filling that ace in my wall with a vegetable crisper. That’s my way of replacing a negative into a positive. Thanks guys for your much needed article and facts. It argued my point for me (to my husband) and has made me find other ways to prepare my family nutritional meals.
Instant pot , convection oven , &. Stove top frying in a cast iron pan.
Dave – have debunkers gone out of their way to debunk? You could call it that. I call it research.
I actually bothered to read all of the references given above.
I actually bothered to look up the legal case where a woman died after being given “microwaved” blood.
I actually read Hans Hertle’s article on his small group.
I actually bothered to try and understand the science (I was a biologist not a physicist but I studied physics in my 1st year at uni so I’m not too bad).’
I actually bothered to approach the situation with an open mind so I actually bothered to read articles such as this one that are anti microwave as well us others that are not.
I actually bothered to look at the economics and US Big Business would love the American public to stop buying foreign made MW ovens and buy US made toaster ovens instead.
As a New Zealander I am not subject to the effects of US conspiracy theories, we declared our country to be a nuclear free zone and kicked out the US Navy. We signed the first Free Trade Agreement with China. We were the first country to give women the vote. We are proudly not little Americans.
I do not think you could call me biased or ignorant. Yet my position is that the above article is hogwash. Why? Because it was written by people who had no understanding at all of the science, cite disreputable sources, misunderstand and miss-cite reputable sources, haven’t bothered to read opposing views, and generally misunderstand.
Yes, I’m guilty of doing the research, and that means I’ve come to a different opinion to this article.
Thank you, Kiwi-ian, for being completely reasonable. Have you proven that MW ovens are safe? No, you have not, nor were you trying to. You have, however, clearly demonstrated that the people saying that they are unsafe are using poor arguments.
Terms like, “mother’s intuition,” “common sense,” “gut feeling” have no place in a scientific examination (except perhaps a study of whether those things even exist).
Common sense and gut feeling that it’s harmful to microwave. Also josh axe is always right. I never microwave and never have for our 6 kids. My daughter did an experiment in school that you water a plant with microwaved water cooled and tap water and the plant died from using the microwaved water from her school. No matter how many plants were tested they all died, mmmm interesting. Why?
Thank you for a great website! All of the information has been so helpful for my mom and my wife!! Kudos
Hi not sure waht this means ‘Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term, permanent, brain damage by “shorting out” electrical impulses in the brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing brain tissue]’ Could you post a source for this? Thanks
Great article but I impressed with your Blog.
Most of these I already knew, many I did not; especially the alteration of hormone regulation! Faults in the endocrine system are the causes for an AVALANCH of health issues, that can only be conveniently treated with synthetic drugs; as mandated by the pharmaceutical lap dog, known as the FDA. Not to mention that in early stages of development, from in-vitro clear into the teen years, sexual preference is dictated by the fine balance of hormones and microwaved food is only part of the iceberg’s tip as to the causes of hormonal imbalance.
good article , at least someone is warning about the dangers of cooking in a microwave oven . the first microwave ovens were called ” radar ranges”‘ that should tell one something in itself .I told my grand daughter that the microwave alters the food , then I told her that I didn’t want her just to believe me , I wanted to prove it . she loves fresh dinner rolls , we went to the store and she picked out her favorite . at home I told her to take out two rolls and place them on two different plates , then microwave one of them for 10 seconds and she did this. then I told to place the microwaved roll back on the plate and let it cool for 30 minutes , then taste the fresh roll first and then taste the other , when she tasted the microwaved roll her only comment was ” ugh “.
There is a Mistake in “How Microwaves work”. Microwaves send out Wavelengths that are smaller than UV-Light and thus are not ionising. Which means they don’t send out radiation the same way an atom bomb or a X-ray do. Radiating, in this sense, just means sending out Waves. Just like the Sun radiates visible light.
I am totally astounded at the rudeness of people who have not done the extensive research as these writers have. So what if it was written 30 years ago! There are books written hundreds or thousands of years ago that are still applicable today.
I had my own reservations when microwave ovens first came on the market. Now that I’m in temporary housing with only a microwave oven available, now I understand why I’ve had an increase in anxiety, stress, eye pain, stomach pain, tiredness….
Thank you sooo much for the enlightenment. I will most certainly decrease my usage immediately! You’ve done us all a great service.
This article is full of Garbage science.
I’m confused. In an article published in 2020 on Dr. Axe’s website, it explains that microwaving food is not bad amd that food is just heated and the compounds in foods arent altered. There’s conflicting messages on your website.
How do I delete my comment?
For Dave who seems to criticise the debunkers for going out of our way to look up stuff – er, yes, it’s called doing the research and I won’t apologise for actually trying to understand the concept and looking at the evidence – on both sides.
As such, I did read the references given, I did look at the court case regarding the lady who died, I did look at Hans Hertel’s article, I did look at heterocyclic amines and their causes, I did look at radiolytic compounds, I did look at the history regarding the Nazis and the Soviets. As a scientist I already knew about radiation and radio-activity and the fact that they are not the same thing.
It is not my fault that I found that nearly every statement in the above article contains inaccuracies, misunderstandings and falsities.
In science, if the evidence does not support the hypothesis then change the hypothesis.
In popularism, only look for evidence that supports the hypothesis and if you can’t find any, forge it.
Thanks for your work. I know there are many people out there who still believe what the industry says, but all we can do is keep informing them!
“Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term, permanent, brain damage by “shorting out” electrical impulses in the brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing brain tissue]”
Can you please give me more information on this topic? I am researching on this currently. Luckily this was the first factor on your list. Anyways, amazing information. I guess the time to throw away my microwave is near!
Thankyou Kiwi-ian for being a mature, critical thinker. I am a former journalist and was impressed and grateful for your diligent research. You did it so the rest of us could benefit from that, and thanks to you, I now have some substantial information from both perspectives to begin my own exploration. The goal is to be healthy –that’s the bottom line. Thank you for being an example of an open-minded reader, as that’s how we learn, grow and see beyond both innocent errors and manipulations. Questioning leads to knowledge. I love the US, but I would love to be in New Zealand too. Thanks again and stay true.
Evonn in Florida
EAT THE MICROWAVE BEFORE IT EATS YOU
And the dangers of smart devices should be included…look out 5G!
Leave a reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.